Friday 17 July 2009

Oldies, but Goodies

I meant to post last night, but nevermind that I knitted and knitted and knitted instead. Unexciting day yesterday, anyway.

Hazel and I played and read books a lot, we hung out laundry to dry, took a nap (I needed one as much as her), made Koolaid Playdoh, daddy got home, made dinner, wrestled Daddy, Hazel went to bed at 8:30, and Brett and I watched Battlestar Galactica. Knitting, knitting, knitting.

It's official, I'm a scifi geek. I think after you're addicted to and love 3 different scifi shows, you're a geek. I don't think it was possible to grow up in my house and not be in love with Star Wars, Brett started watching Star Trek: Enterprise in Peoria and got me addicted (love that show). And now we've gotten into BSG. The Yarn Harlot, my knitting idol, was a BSG fan and I thought we'd give it a go, watch an episode or two and see. Good show. Not to mention that we've got that, plus the series Prison Break going at the same time. Pamela loaned us Prison Break while she's touring the US for a month. It's an amazingly good show. Kind of violent and gory, but it really needs that, I think, for the show to progress.

By the way (BTW), I'm currently sitting on the floor, Hazel's on my lap, and the computer is on hers, so if this is a little unreadable, then you'll know why.

We made Koolaid Playdough (recipe in link above) for the 2nd time yesterday. It's the best recipe I've found as it contains no oil, therefore it doesn't leave oily greasy mess everywhere. Simple. Flour, salt, koolaid, water. Easy peasy. Makes the world largest amount of playdough, though. Be forwarned. Lots and lots. And I strongly recommend plastic gloves before mixing, as mooshing together the dry stuff with boiling water is PAINFUL. I, also, recommend kneading it until you feel like your arms are going to fall off. It really gets the gluten in the flour going so that it feels like playdough and not the generic, grainy, homemade stuff. Not to mention the stuff SMELLS amazing since it has koolaid in it. The first batch we made was with 2 pkg of Cherry, this batch was 1 Strawberry, 1 Tropical Punch. Hardly any difference. Nothing too noticeable. Same smell, color, etc. Well, mostly. I can't wait to try it in other color/flavors. I'm going to make some for Hazel's little guests at her birthday party in September.

Speaking of...the kids are getting big enough this year to make it a child centered party instead of an adults-celebrating-kids party. So after some brainstorming, we decided to have a big craft party for the kids. Hazel's got about 6 little friends, so oI thought it would be fun to make playdough for them in different colors, we talked about hiring a facepainter. There are recipes online for homemade fingerpaints, we can color, etc and so on. I thought it would be fun and then the little ones can have some art to take home at the end of the day! I think I have to be a crazy lady, though, for doing it, as....

...the day before Hazel's birthday is the day several of us in the knit group are going to IKnit day in London. We'll fly out about 6am and get home somewhere around 10pm that night. THEN, I'm having a party the next day. Luckily it should be fairly simple for the party, and if I get all prepped on Friday, then Sunday will be a breeze and I can relax at IKnit.

Hmmmm. Whatelse is going on...Baby making has commenced! I'm really excited!!!! And really dreading it at the same time. Seems like everyone is preggo and took no effort to get that way, and I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that it probably won't be that easy for us. Sigh. It's hard not to be resentful toward everyone who got preggo right away, but I do dknow God knows best and it'll happen when it should. I do dknow that, but convincing my heart is a whole other story. I was hoping Hazel and her siblings would be closer in age, but it's not in God's plan, so I need to just calm down and wait.

Well, I should go get dressed as we have to get friends in an hour to go play at Cheeky Monkey's. I'm going to take the camera and hopefully have some video to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment