Saturday 25 July 2009

Media malnutrition

I logged onto Windows Live today. I realized about 2pm that I'm a horrible daughter and sister and had cut off all contact and I better log on. So I did.

Now, those of you unfamiliar with the Windows Live logging on process, once you log in, a pop-up comes up with how many emails I haven't read. Don't ask. It's my junk mail/what I use to register for things with/what I give strangers email, the one I never ever check so it's usually 1000+ emails. If you email my hotmail account, don't be hurt if I never return your email....

Then you get another pop-up with TODAY IN THE NEWS. And it's all tabloid stuff. I usually scan it and on very very rare occasion will look up one of the stories. But believe me, it's pretty rare. One big one lately has been, "When Oprah's recommendations go wrong" or something like that (tho I'm pretty sure it had another title...same concept). Fascinated, I looked it up. Funny, useless information about things Oprah has endorced that had a negative effect on the company vs. doing amazing things for the sales of the product. Funny. In one ear and out the other.

Today had a post about Jon (of Jon & Kate + 8) and wha his girlfriend has to say. Really. WHO CARES, right? I have to say that is defenitely one reason I do not miss American Gossip Media. Or News Media. It's all gossip anyway, right?

And it got me thinking. I am so malnourished in the wide world of what is going on. I don't watch the news here b/c it's all about bombings and what one group of people did to another group of people. Prejudice this and prejudice that. Who drank too much and cause a bar fight, who had a DUI, who was caught with drugs, whom was sleeping with who. I think it's sad that A) the media only reports on the bad stuff. B) They have to report all the crap to keep the public interested. C) That society is so bad that they're only interested in the crap. D) That I'm considered uneducated and uninteresting to talk to if I don't know the latest and greatest crap.

So here is my thoughts. You can disagree all you want. That is your right.

I have enough stress in my day to day life, that inviting the notion that something else may happen is simply adding to my stress. Don't need it.

I have a low self-body image as it is. I don't need to see who's wearing what and how they trained for 8 hours a day and flushed their colon to get in it. IT costing more than the balance on my car. Reality is, I have a toddler and I chase her for 18 hours a day and GAIN weight, making my $5 dress look like crap on me.

I love my husband dearly and deeply. He is wonderful and handsome and the best. He is the man I married and there really is no one out there better for me than him. So watching the gossip shows where no one can stay faithful b/c life got hard...BIG SHOCK, life IS hard...and they can't take any more, is a waste of time and energy on my part.

I worship God. Jesus Christ is my saviour. That is why I don't have a favorite Actress, singer, actor. It is sad that Michael JAckson died. It was amazing the things he did for pop music. He had a tragic life and that was sad. However, California should not be in debt for his funeral. I caught the replay of Princess Di's funeral, because I was a Freshman at Purdue, and I wasn't family or close personal friend and wasn't going to get myself out of bed at 5 am to watch it live. These people are just people. That's it. They spent their lives doing amazing things and contributing to society and I truly believe they would be sad to think that instead of joining their cause and helping the world, you sat around and fixated yourself on what they were wearing, what they were doing, WHO they were doing, and the list goes on. They're good people and they will be missed, but I think they would be better served by spending time and precious money on things other than them. Donate to a charity in their honor. Even if you have no money, you have time. I know you do, watching TV, reading magazines. Scanning the news racks for the latest headline containing them. That's just hours and hours of time that you could be banding together with them or their memory. So why doesn't this make sense to other people? I think all these celebrities would be sad to think that the focus was on what they wore to a charity event versus what the charity did for someone. God said worshiping Idols was a sin, and they don't call it American Idol for nothing. He never said there was anything wrong in helping another of mankind. He's all about love and kindness and stretching out your hand. Go do it.

I feel okay in the knowledge that I'm media deficiant. That I have no idea what is going on the rest of the world. I have to be IN this world. I don't have to be OF this world. And I feel happier in the knowing that I'm a little more boring because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment