Friday 10 April 2009

Your glass

So a couple of weeks ago, I was part of a discussion about people and their views of their "glass".
You know the old, "Do you see this glass as half empty, or half full?" Well, we were talking about which of us views it which way, and came to realization. That question comes with a social stigma. To view the glass 1/2 empty means you're a negative person...focusing on all that is wrong. To view your glass as 1/2 full means you're a positive person...viewing the world in all that is right. So under that presumption, who in the world would admit to being a "1/2 empty" person? Can you imagine someone introducing themselves to a room full of strangers (regardless of the social situation...work, school, church, etc) as a person who focuses on all the wrong? That's not going to happen, and as it turns out few people get close enough to each other to really find out if you're a 1/2 full or 1/2 empty person. So all those negative people can "masquarade" as a positive person and no one is the wiser. Which makes the question unnecessary to begin with, right?
But I think there's more to the question than just the black and white answer. I think it should be viewed quite differently than what we're taught. I actually believe there's a 3rd group of people. Those are the people who recognize that there is something in their glass, but refuse to see it as 1/2 full or 1/2 empty. Let me back up and explain myself.
I'm generally a 1/2 full kinda gal. Few things in life are really worth getting worked up about, and life is good. Life isn't perfect. Life isn't easy. Life isn't always fun. But life is good, and God is good to us. I believe that. I believe that, at the end of the day, life is what you make it. I live in a foreign country, moving here with no one to help me learn how to live, our apartment is crap, I miss my family and friends. I struggle all the time with how HARD it is to be here. But I'm so thankful that Brett has a good job. He enjoys his job. He makes incredibly good money. I can stay home with Hazel. We live somewhere that I would have never thought of to visit, but am just breathless with being able to experience things here that I never dreamed I could and may never get to again! My Daddy is very sick. Very sick. but I know that every single second I get to sit with him...even if it's at 4 am in the ER...is a God given second. And I'm so greatful. Now, all that being said, I do have my 1/2 empty moments...quite a few of them lately as a matter of fact. It's easy to focus on all that is wrong and how it could be much better. How the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. At the end of the day, though, being miserable does no good but make me a sour puss, raise my blood pressure, and generally make me unpleasant to be around.
Now, back to the viewing our glasses differently. What if we all stopped looking at the question as a black/white, negative/positive question? What if we thought of it like this....

1/2 full--I think of my glass as containing more than it could. More than I deserve. I recognize that there was more in there at one time, and I was so lucky to have a full glass, but look at all I got to enjoy and all that is left to enjoy! I realize that one day my glass may run out, but all the joy that is there right now will get replaced if I let God be in control.
1/2 empty--I think of my glass as having potential to have more. I don't have as much as I did, but all I have to do is be careful of what is left. Enjoy it, but be cautious. But I know that an empty glass doesn't mean the end of everything. Just means there will be room for more when it does.
Riding The Fence---Now, this is a group of people that I struggle with. To be honest. They're the ones who tug at my heart strings. These are the people who are sooooooo fixated on what is in the glass that they can't actually see how much or how little is left. They fixate on the air...why isn't that full? If I had THAT person's 1/2 full glass than mine would be full and life would be better. But then THAT person would be content with their empty glass and now I don't want a glass full of milk, I want a glass full of Kool-aid. And why do they get to be happy with their empty glass when I'm not happy with my full glass? Now I don't want their glass, because if I can't be happy with their glass or make THEM miserable with me, then I don't want anything to do with them or their glass at all. Now that I look at what's in there, it seems to be draining rather quickly! And I'm not doing anything to make it drain faster. Why isn't mine fuller? Those people who have 1/2 empty glasses couldn't possibly understand what it's like to have MY glass. The one with the imaginary hole and isn't Kool-aid.

Deep thoughts for a Friday, huh?
My challenge for you this Easter weekend is to take a deep look at who YOU are. And for every single situation that is wiggling under your skin, breaking your heart, raising your blood pressure, I challenge you to find 5....yes FIVE...positives about it. They may not fix the situation. They may not even make you feel better. But you'll enjoy the weekend much more...maybe even put a smile on someone elses face, which is the best feeling in the world.

Here's an example of my 5 positives....

I HATE living in this apartment.
1. It forces us to spend time together.
2. It's about $200 cheaper than anywhere else that is furnished, and after 2 years, that has saved us almost $5000. Yah, that should be #1.
3. Limited space means limited purchases of things that will just get donated, sold on ebay, or thrown away at the end of our stay...meaning more $$ that can go towards useful things...like paying off credit cards or student loans
4. We have a great landlord. Really crappy property manager, but the guy who owns this place is great.
5. We're 1/2 block from the bay and 2 blocks from the Leisure Center. 1 block from a park with a playground and a 10 minute walk from town. On a nice day, there's lots available to do if I get off my toosh.
6. I have a clothes drier. and that's a big deal here in Northern Ireland.

3 comments:

  1. What if Allison spills the milk in my glass? LOL. Seriously, good to think about! I found a gratitude app to put on my ipod so I can remember the good in every day. Some days it's really hard to find 5 things. Some days I could put 10 down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sound north-american. me too, by birth. i know what being a 'foreigner' in NI is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and i dig the 'your glass' post - sounds like my '1/2 cup of tea'

    ReplyDelete