Wednesday 3 December 2008

Thanksgiving in Northern Ireland

Saturday night (Nov. 30) we had Thanksgiving dinner at Matt and Jenn's in Ballygally with a lot of the Higher-ups at FG Wilson.

I was absolutely terrified as the day did not start out very well. Between Friday evening and noon on Saturday, I had to make 4 trips to the grocery store in order to get something I forgot. Now, I realize I could have prevented that by making and taking a list to the store with me. However, I was fried, and I did n't even THINK about a list. So, I made 4 trips into town. Now that sounds simple enough. Run to the store and get what you need then go home. Here in a good ole foreign country, it is NOT that easy. I needed a set of measuring spoons. And I came to learn, quickly, that there is no such thing in the greater Larne area. Trust me. I went into 5 different stores...and ASKED. Finally settled on small measuring cups that resemble shot glasses and anything smaller than what those little glasses measured, I guesstimated.

Let me say, I'm still learning to cook, so guesstimation isn't the smartest thing for me to do.

Anyway, I got home, finally, with everything, after the 4th trip and got all the dishes prepared. I made Sweet Potatoe Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Stuffing, and Mulled Wine. All of it got prepared and mostly cooked here except for the Mulled Wine which waited till we got to Matt and Jenn's. Did I mention that I'm still learning this whole cooking thing? Tackling thanksgiving dinner for 4 would have been ok, if it had turned out to be rubbish, I could have laughed about it and driven to KFC and got us food. However, I was cooking side dishes for 14 people. Plus Hazel.

Gulp.

I called Mom (Mary Harger) almost in tears, and defenitely producing an ulcer, and bless her heart, she walked me through what I needed help with and cheered me on.

I then got a quick shower, got ready, helped Brett pack up the really hot food and Hazel (along with all her necessaities), and headed to Matt and Jenn's.

Then next 2 hours were a blurr. Matt, Jenn, and I were rushing around the kitchen fixing gravy, cooking stuffing, simmering mulled wine, carving turkey and ham, re-warming all dishes that had been previously cooked, welcoming guests, and in general trying to remain sane. But finally dinner was ready, the whole house smelled appropriatly Thanksgivingly, and all the guests were ravenous.

So we let them dig in.

Now, I have to say, God bless each and every one of those people. It was a weird meal, I have to confess. As an American, I'm used to 10 different casseroles, 2 different meats. It's Thanksgiving. However, viewing this glorious holiday through the eyes of Irishmen, it does look very bazaar. So they moved around the buffet style dinner, asking what each dish was and taking tiny helpings of everything as to try and not be rude if they didn't like something. It was so different to see plates with everything on it, but not MOUNDED full like we Americans do.
And I'm proud to say there were happy people at the end of the first round, and several had atleast another round if not more. And most looked as if they were going to explode when the meal was over. in fact, when we asked a couple hours later if anyone was interested in pie, they all looked at us like we had sprouted another head. But they all had a piece anyway.

It was a wonderful evening. We ate, sat and had great conversation, enjoyed wine. All in all it was a huge success. All of the women even asked for recipes. YAY!!!
Here are some pictures for your viewing enjoyment....
The remains of 1/2 of the spread...Jenn preparing Pies...

Brett, Tony and Jill McAllister...The whole group (L to R) Phyllis, Chevon, Jill, Brett, Tony, Matt, Ian, Haani, Colin (invisible in the corner), and Sandra(L to R) Haani, Colin, Sandra, Ian, Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment