Wednesday 24 June 2009

On A Walk

We ventured out toady about mid-morning. The goal was, enjoy the gorgeous weather while it's here. It's near 70 degrees, the sun is shining very brightly, there isn't a cloud in the sky. It's just beautiful.

I loaded the diaper bag, filled Hazel's "baa-pack" (backpack) with varies toys and snacks. We had juice and a stuffed animal (Cat & the Hat, which definitely wasn't my first choice as it's HUGE), diapers and shopping bag. We were set. I loaded it on the stroller and tucked Hazel in and we were off. Hazel did really well in the stroller all the way through town; to the bank, to the yarn shop, to the butcher's, to Boots, she even did well through most of Dorothy Perkins (a clothes shop). It was apparent then that lunch was due. So we made our way to Subway.

Hazel loves Subway. It's like getting a great big cookie for her. Now, that thrills me to no end. Subway is healthy, in most occasions (it always is for her). So we ordered, and sat down to our meal. I loved it. She sat like a big girl in a regular seat, ate from her sandwich like a big girl, wiped her mouth with her napkin, took sips from her juice. It was all so big. And I got to experience it. It was wonderful sitting with her, my little girl, as this person is no longer my baby. (I don't wanna get into how much that's tearing up my heart, it'll just make me cry.)

We finished up lunch and headed home. She walked almost 3/4 of the way home, holding my hand with one hand and grasping the stem of a leaf with the other. Every once in a while, she would see something cool, or something she recognized and knew the word for and we'd get slowed down for a moment, talking about it. Every few steps she'd "hop" and get the giggles over it, and I'd laugh. But for the most part, we just walked; hand in hand, enjoying the day together.

I realized that I wouldn't trade a nano-second of this for any other life, or situation. If living here forever was the only way to ensure I got to cherish my children's every waking moment, I'll take it. Because with every step home, I realized I was one step closer to not having those moments. She'll be too big to hold Mama's hand and giggle at her hops.

She may not be my baby any more, but she'll always be my little girl on a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment