Thursday 13 November 2008

Traveling with a little one....

This post has been a long time coming....and I know with many of you about to travel or thinking about it, I thought I would share my recommendations for flying with a baby or toddler! I've made 9 flights with my daughter in the past year, so I'm getting pretty close to perfecting the packing!
P.S. Bare with me about pictures, the camera died just as I was trying to upload pics, and we don't have any replacement batteries.....

Essentials for flying with a baby/toddler
aka. what to put in your carry-on
  1. This is my carry-on diaper bag. Note the difference between it and my everyday bag. I found that although it's heavy once loaded, there's rarely a thing that goes in it that isn't necessary. Plus, I never take a purse with me, so that bag holds all of MY essentials PLUS Hazel's necessaities. Therefore, the carry-on should be large and zippered. The zipper comes in handy more often than you'd realize. Keep in mind, the bag will go through the security x-ray machine, and they aren't exactly gentle...tie top bags are cute, make yours zippered.
  2. I never leave without a smaller bag folded and tucked inside the larger one. This bag is my catch all, or sometimes acts as the bag I use for anything that needs to be readily accessible as often the carry-on is thown into the overhead compartment and you will need something small and convenient to take to the plane toilet and such. This is the bag that often travels with us. I got it free out of a magazine here in the UK, but I've seen similar ones in the US at Wal-mart, or you can even make one if you're crafty. Trust me when I say, it's worth the $$$. It has held many things...e.g. extra clothes, dirty clothes, diapers, wipes, snacks, a bottle or sippy cup. This bag is something I will never again pack my carry-on without, and has come in handy more often than I can count. I usually fold it flat and tuck it in the side of the bag so it's out of the way but accessible.
  3. Diapers are the next to get packed. Now, I follow the general rule of 2 for every hour that you'll be traveling. I repeat, TRAVELING, not flying. Don't forget the layover time, time to and from the airport. I know it sounds like a lot of diapers, and yes, it is. But we've been through a lot of situations where having extra diapers has been a life saver. Our first flight, our daughter drank 16 oz of formula between boarding the plane and take-off. Now, she was just shy of 16 weeks old and that time span was about 15 minutes. So, our 4 month old drank about 1 oz a minute for 15 minutes STRAIGHT. That's a lot. Thankfully that flight was a short hour and 15 minutes, b/c when we landed for our first lay-over, we discovered that a fair amount of the formula went straightdown her shirt into her diaper, so there's one. Then 5 minutes after we changed that first diaper, the remaining formula that detoured through her body found it's way into the second diaper. There's 2. Two diapers in less than 2 hours. And that's just one situation. I keep in mind that there's always a possibility that we may have an extended lay-over should our flight get delayed or canceled. Or what if we should arrive safe and sound at our destination, but our luggage doesn't? Extra diapers are a blessing, trust me.
  4. Small Bags to through away dirty diapers or tie up soiled clothes. In the UK, you can purchase Nappy Bags which are essentially small scented trash bags. And they're really cheap for like, 500 bags. If you can't find them in the US, I know you can get small scented trash bags at Wal-mart. They're worth it if you find yourself in situations where you have a muddy diaper and no where to put it but your carry-on. And you WILL find yourself in that situation, if you don't ever, you're blessed.
  5. I always find room for an extra outfit for Hazel. And if we're traveling when she would normally be in bed, I add in a pair of PJs . She sleeps better on the flight when she's in jammies (duh). If we're traveling for longer than 2 hours, we ALWAYS find a need for that second outfit. I don't think we've ever not used it. I also pack atleast an extra shirt for Me. I've done one flight without a change of shirt for myself, and wound up being covered in baby food, formula, and sweat (carrying a baby through an airport is warm...everywhere). I smelled, was uncomfortable, and was just generally gross. Even if I never use that extra shirt, it's always with me. You will feel like a monster after flying any length with a small child, you don't want to look or smell like one.
  6. Baby Juice or formula. And I always make sure it's her favorite. This is not the time to experiment with a new juice or milk. I am still breastfeeding, but have always had a bottle/sippy cup and something to go in it for a flight. There have been many times when she won't feed b/c it's too cramped or hot on the plane. Or maybe b/c she wants to look around and not at my chest, whatever the reason, breastfeeding DID NOT cut it when we were flying. Now, yes, I have breastfed her on many flights, but I never know which ones she won't feed on, and I don't bank on her breastfeeding. Plus the circulated air on planes dehydrates you, and I don't ask my little one to go without hydration b/c I don't want to pack a bottle. Life is easier if you have it. And if you're worried about getting through security, don't worry. I've never been in an airport who wouldn't let it through. I've been in a few that make you open it and taste it, so make sure it's something you don't mind taking a swig of yourself and that is re-sealable.
  7. Next is 3-4 types of snacks if they're big enough to have small snacks. I think we started making sure there were snacks in the bag when we traveled in April...Hazel was 7 mos. Three to four seems excessive, but true to baby M.O., your little one will choose the most inopertune time to decide he/she doesn't like his favorite treat, and it always helps to have a back up.
  8. Toys. I know this one seems like a no-brainer. But I just wanted to let you all know what I bring with us. I usually pack a small soft animal, a learning toy, and a book. That usually does well for even long flights. I also have heard wearing jewlery that's large, plastic, and colorful can be a ready-made toy for them, but I can't bring myself to wear any. If you can pull off the look, major props to you!
  9. Antibacterial Hand Lotion. I like anything from Bath N Body Works as it makes me smell more lady-like and less monster-like, but any will do. On a recent trip home I found some individually packed antibacterial hand wipes in line at the check-out at Wal-mart. They work wonders and are so easy to pack, plus, the chances of them spilling all over your nicely packed carry-on is pretty slim.
  10. First Aid Kit. Let's hope you never need it, but, I always have one with me as everyone I know is accident prone. I found a cute compact one at Target when I was home. It had stickers and crayon band-aids in it...very child friendly. Plus the container was compact enough not to take up much room in my bag, but roomy enough to hold regular band-aids in it (my hubby seems to prefer the plain over the red crayon for some reason :) ).
  11. Facial Tissues. I always need them at the weirdest times, so it's just nice to have them handy.

I think that's it for now. If I should think of anything else I will update my post, but I believe that's all I make sure I have. The rest that I pack are odds and ends, like entertainment for me, although I rarely get to use it, so I leave that for magazines I purchase at the airport.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to leave me a message! And I hope your travels are safe and fun!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment